Training & Testing
What is the practical assessment process?
HCMI will impart training to potential candidates for assessment of their respective trades.
This assessment involves two stages:
- Competency profile assessment - where documentary evidence of your training and work experience is reviewed; this helped to determine your skills and knowledge and included advice on if you should proceed to a practical assessment
- A practical assessment conducted in one of the five countries listed above.
Competency Profile Assessment
You need to provide the following documents to progress through to the practical assessment.
- Application form
- Work references detailing your experience for a minimum of 3 years
- Trade evidence form completed
The practical assessment involves:
- A series of practical work-based tasks that demonstrates to our assessor/SMEs your trade skills and how closely they align with the country you are being deployed.
- A technical interview where the assessor will ask you a series of questions specific to your trade; this is designed to find out the depth of your trade knowledge and how you apply that knowledge OR a written knowledge assessment depending on the requirement for your nominated occupation.
For example, you may be asked to outline your work experience in the trade, describe the sequence in completing a particular job, or explain what you would do if you were faced with a problem or a difficult circumstance in a job.
The person conducting your practical assessment will be a qualified trade skills assessor/S